List of graduation projects supervised by Roberto Rocco
Faculty of Architecture of the Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Chair Spatial Planning and Strategy
Most student work is available at the TU Delft Education Repository.
As main supervisor (listed chronologically from 2008)
- Pedal city: alternative urban system of mobility and accessibility to urban services for self-organizing economic activities in slums of Lusaka, Zambia, Master thesis Architecture 2008-06-27, Author: Yokoi, Atsufumi (Japan), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Fernandez-Maldonado, A.M. · Hermans, W.J.A., Keywords: urban development, development strategies, mobility, intervention, bottom-up design and planning, local conditions
- From urban barrier to urban connector: how to intervene to dissolve the existing barrier of the former military base (SOUTH KOREA: URBAN STRATEGY and DEVELOPMENT),Master thesis Architecture 2008-06-27,Author: Lee, Ji Young (South Korea), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Stolk, E.H. · De Haan, H., Keywords: urban intervention · urban transformation · urban network · Yongsan, U.S. military base
- How to regenerate Yeouido as an international business centre of Seoul (SOUTH KOREA: URBAN STRATEGY and DEVELOPMENT), Master thesis Architecture 2008-06-27,Author: Park, S.J. (South Korea), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Zandbelt, D. · Harteveld, M., Keywords: international business centres · airports · networks · central parks · public space
- Urban Conditions for Creative Cities (THE NETHERLANDS: KNOWLEDGE CITY STRATEGIES), Master thesis Architecture, Author: Sam Eftegarie (NL), Mentor: Rocco, R., Toorn M. vd, Tamas, M. Keywords: creative cities, urban milieu, learning, urban environments.
- Nanjing, Towards a Super University City (CHINA: KNOWLEDGE CITY STRATEGIES), Masters thesis Architecture, Author: Jing Jing (China), Mentor: Rocco, R., Hermans, W., Sanders, G., Keywords: creative cities, university cities, development, university campus
- For Ordinary People: contributing to decrease social polarization in Beijing using the post-Olympic facilities (CHINA: OLYMPIC LEGACY: URBAN STRATEGY), Author: Lingjuan Zhang (China), Masters thesis in Urbanism, Mentor: Rocco, R., Keywords: Olympic cities, post Olympic facilities, social polarisation, infrastructures
- Delft, for knowledge and people: Connecting the Knowledge City with its citizens (THE NETHERLANDS: KNOWLEDGE CITY), Master thesis, Architecture 2009-07-02, Author: De Koning, C.M. (NL), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Aalbers, K.P.M. · Harteveld, M.G.A.D.
Keywords: knowledge city · Schieoevers · Schie canal banks
- Emerging Neighbourhoods: or why piece-by-piece urbanism leads to flexible and diverse city development (THE NETHERLANDS: URBAN STUDIES: COMPLEXITY THEORY), Master thesis Architecture 2009-11-06 Author: Thijs Jansen (NL), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Stolk, E. · Portugali, J., Keywords: flexible neighbourhoods · diversity · complexity theory.
- Today’s Main City Squares: in Northwestern Europe (THE NETHERLANDS: URBAN FORM: PUBLIC SPACES)
Master thesis Architecture 2010-01-28
Author: Saskia Commandeur (NL)
Mentor: Rocco, R. · Harteveld, M.G.A.D. · Dawson, J.P.
Keywords: squares · history · criteria for spatial quality
- From lines to networks: creating links between the sub-centralities of Rio de Janeiro (BRAZIL: URBAN NETWORKS and MOBILITY), Author: Joris Wiers (NL), Masters thesis in Urbanism, Mentors: Rocco, R.; Westrik, J.; van der Velde, J.R.T., Keywords: urban networks, infrastructure, transport, centrality, Rio de Janeiro, development.
- Utrecht-region under pressure: Development of a mobile strategy to keep the Utrecht region accessible, vital and liveable (THE NETHERLANDS: REGIONAL STRATEGY and MOBILITY)
Master thesis Architecture 2010-01-29, Authors: Van Dijk, J. and Stinissen, R. (NL) (double graduation), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Balz, V.E. · Stead, D. · Smit, P., Keywords: city-regional design, mobility environments, regional spatial strategy,
- ‘Measuring urban capacity’: Towards a systematic measurement of capacity for intensification of dwellings and industry (THE NETHERLANDS: URBAN FORM AND STRATEGY: DENSITY), Master thesis Architecture 2010-06-24, Author: Kasraian Moghaddam, Dena (Iran), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Berghauser Pont, M. · Hermans, W., Keywords: intensification · capacity measurement · quantification · Westland.
- Shifting Gravity in the Utrecht region (THE NETHERLANDS: URBAN FORM and URBAN STRATEGY), Master thesis Architecture 2010-06-22, Author: Joris Viscaal (NL), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Berghauser-Pont, M. · Van Nes, A., Keywords: Post-Vinex · densification · urbanisation · axis development · Utrecht · Leidsche Rijn
- City, catch the time! Rediscovering socialist neighbourhoods in a new capitalist society: Case in Vilnius Lithuania (LITHUANIA: URBAN REGENERATION: POST-SOCIALIST CITY), Master thesis Architecture 2010-06-22, Author: Justina Muliuolyte (Lithuania), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Westrik, J.A. · Lei, Q.. Keywords: Post war housing · regeneration · post socialist city · large-scale housing estates · strategy · network
- Dual Map 2040: Guide to a Vital, Diverse Jining (CHINA: REGIONAL PLANNING), Master thesis Architecture 2010-06-24, Author: Liang Chunxiao (China), Mentor: Rocco, R. · Sijmons, D. · Read, S., Keywords: urban transformation, regional planning and design, urbanisation in China, resource cities transformation.
- Developing beyond limitations: a regional strategy for Xining, Qinghai province in China (CHINA: REGIONAL TO URBAN STRATEGIES FOR DEVELOPMENT), Author: Yuli Zhou (China), Masters thesis in Urbanism, Mentors: R. Rocco, Professor D. Sijmons, Keywords: regional planning and design, urbanisation in China, sustainability, territorial planning, landscape and resources management
- Child Friendly Cities (POLAND): URBAN STRATEGIES FOR MOBILITY), Author: Stef Pieterse (NL), Masters thesis in Urbanism, Mentors: R. Rocco; M. Berghauser-Pont, Keywords: child friendly environments, urban regeneration strategies, urban design, empirical research, GIS
- The greater Kaunas in pursuit of coherence: Unlocking regional competitiveness and balanced development through a regional spatial strategy (LITHUANIA: REGIONAL INTEGRATED SPATIAL STRATEGY: POST-SOCIALIST DEVELOPMENT), Author: Viktorija Gailiute (Lithuania), Master thesis in Urbanism
Mentors: R. Rocco, E. Luiten, (July 2013), Keywords: regional development strategies, regional design, landscape, mobility strategies
- Mobility as Justice: Metropolitan Mobility Strategy for a Socially Equitable Bucharest (ROMANIA: METROPOLITAN SPATIAL STRATEGY: TOD: MOBILITY, POST-SOCIALIST DEVELOPMENT), Author: Liviu Teodorescu (Romania), Master thesis in Urbanism, Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Dorina Pojani, (December 2013), Keywords: metropolitan strategy and design, TOD, mobility, equality, spatial justice.
- A spatial strategy for Paraisopolis, an informal settlement in São Paulo, Brazil (BRAZIL: INFORMAL URBANISATION: SLUM UPGRADING: DEVELOPMENT). Author: Belinda van Zijl (The Netherlands). Master thesis in Urbanism. Mentors: R. Rocco, M. van Dorst (June 2014). Keywords: informal urbanisation, slum upgrading, participation
- Noords Spatial Civil Society Governance: Understanding the impacts of Participatiesamenleving for local spatial strategies. (THE NETHERLANDS: NEIGHBOURHOOD DEVELOPMENT, NEO-LIBERALISM, BIG SOCIETY) Author; Lynn van Calmthout (The Netherlands). Keywords: Participatiesamenleving, Policies, Responsibility, Spatial policies, Developed at the studio Complex Cities. Role: First mentor
- Connected São Paulo: Experimenting Participation in Urban Development, (BRAZIL: SAO PAULO, PARTICIPATION & DEMOCRACY: URBAN REGENERATION: INNER CITY REDEVELOPMENT). Author: Nina Dalla Bernardina (Brazil). Keywords: collective, collaboration, new economy, network system, self-organization. Developed in the Complex cities: Inclusive Cities Graduation Lab. Role: First mentor.
- An Informal Frame: Incorporating social & economic production of space in redevelopment of informal settlements (INDIA, MUMBAI, SLUM UPGRADING STRATEGIES, LIVELIHOOD_BASED URBAN DEVELOPMENT). Author: Kritika Sha (India) Keywords: Informal settlements, economic network, social ties, inclusive and sustainable redevelopment, Developed in the Complex cities: Inclusive Cities Graduation Lab. Role: First mentor.
- Stockholm 2050 – A resilient metropolitan region (Regional plan). (SWEDEN, REGIONAL PLANNING, MOBILITY, STRATEGIC REGIONAL PLANNING). Author: Kristian Spasov, (Sweden), Keywords: Resilient, Densification, Mobility, Environment, Climate change.Developed in the Complex cities: Inclusive Cities Graduation Lab. Role: First mentor.
- Productive Addis: Increasing accessibility to local income generation by designing a productive open space system (AFRICA, ETHIOPIA, NEIGHBOURHOOD PLANNING, URBAN DEVELOPMENT, AFFORDABLE HOUSING). Author: Chris Bartman (The Netherlands) Affordable neighbourhoods, migration, social mobility, urban growth, economic development, Complex Cities; Inclusive cities in the Global South. Role: First mentor
- A Corridor towards sustainable urban development: Maputo Metropolitan Area, Mozambique (AFRICA, MOZAMBIQUE, DEVELOPMENT CORRIDOR, URBAN DEVELOPMENT, METROPOLITAN STRATEGY). Author: Concepción (Concha) del Rocío Aranda Iglesias (Spain) , Adaptive Governance, Informality, Urban Development, Complex Cities: Inclusive Cities, Role: First mentor.
- An alternative urban paradigm?: Local knowledge and the power of community as a base for sustainable development in Mathare Valley, Nairobi (AFRICA, KENYA, NAIROBI, SLUM UPGRADING, NEIGHBOURHOOD DEVELOPMENT, POST-COLONIAL STUDIES). Author: Eva Labrujere (The Netherlands). Participatory slum-upgrading, informal urbanisation, sustainable development, indigenous/local knowledge. Complex Cities. Role: First mentor.
- Bridging the Gaps [Between rival communities in Cyprus]. Author: Ioanna Dimitriou (Cyprus). Ethnic conflict, contested environment, divided cities, Nicosia, shared spaces. Complex Cities. Role: First mentor.
- (Re)Levant: Former railway networks in the Levant as a backbone for regional cooperation and social inclusion [Israel]. Author: Rotem Shenitzer Schwake (Israel). Railway infrastructure, cross-border cooperation, sustainable development, regional segregation, divided communities. Complex Cities. Role: First mentor.
- The Moral and Social Implications of Smart Grids. Author: Lucas Zarzoso (The Netherlands/Spain). smart grids, socio-technical networks; equitable energy systems, privacy, cyber security. Amsterdam Metropolitan Solutions MADE. Role: First mentor. [in development]
- The impact of values on mobility technology. Author: Jeroen de Vries (The Netherlands). Technology, perspective, conditioning, system, capitalisation. Amsterdam Metropolitan Solutions MADE. Role: First mentor. [in development]
- Revisited Composition: Implementation Strategy for Mobility Based Development in Bandung City, Indonesia. Author: Putrikinasih (Putri) Santoso (Indonesia). Keywords: sustainable urban development, mobility oriented development, urban redevelopment, Bandung, Indonesia, TOD. Graduation Studio: Complex Cities. Second mentor: L. M. Calabrese.
As part of a team of supervisors at TU Delft (second or third mentor)
- Grow Up Songjiang [China] New Town: analysis and strategy to strengthen the economic position of Songjiang in the regional network (CHINA: REGIONAL TO URBAN STRATEGIES FOR DEVELOPMENT), Author: Hong Liu (China), Masters thesis in Urbanism, Mentors: Lei, Q.; van der Hoeven, F.; Rocco, R. Keywords: urban development, China, networks, strategic planning
- Knowledge Backbone: a new economic area in Rio de Janeiro’s urban voids (BRAZIL: OLYMPIC LEGACY: URBAN STRATEGY), Author: Rafael Alencar Saraiva (Brazil), Masters thesis in Urbanism (Urban planning and design), Mentor team: van Nes, A.; Schuetze, T., Rocco, R.. Keywords: urban economy, voids, knowledge, creative, innovation
- Catching the train: sustainable development of a connection to the European high-speed train network in Copenhagen (THE NETHERLANDS/ DENMARK: NETWORKS and MOBILITY STRATEGIES)
Master thesis Architecture 2009-03-27
Author: Van Erp, T.M. (NL)
Mentor: Zandbelt, D.D. · Hermans, W.J.A. · Rocco, R.
Keywords: HST · Copenhagen · strategy · urban project
- Casa de Cultura | Patos de Minas: spatial interventions to stimulate the development of a medium sized city in Brazil (BRAZIL: URBAN INTERVENTION: DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES), Master thesis, Architecture 2009-04-01, Author: Van Loon, Matthijs (NL)
Mentor: Nottrot, R.J. · Van Dooren, E.J.G.C. · Rocco, R.
Keywords: Brazil · cultural centre · development
- Corporate Socially Responsible – Real Estate Management: Understanding how a corporate real estate object interacts with society (THE NETHERLANDS: REAL ESTATE & HOUSING: GOVERNANCE: CORPORATIONS and CITIES), Master thesis Architecture 2011-04-14, Author: Thyssen, J. (NL), Mentor: Van der Voordt, D.J.M. · Rocco, R.C., Keywords: CSR · CREM · society · corporate · management · responsible · real estate object
- IN_FORMAL SPACES: Towards Urbanity in the Peripheries of Rio de Janeiro: a Piecemeal Intervention (BRAZIL: URBAN STRATEGIES FOR DEVELOPMENT: URBAN INTERVENTION), Master thesis, Architecture 2011-01-14, Author: Stallaart, A. (NL), Mentor: Lee, S. · Westgeest, G. · Rocco, R., Keywords: Paradox of urbanisation · Rio de Janeiro · Brazil · aesthetization of urbanity · informal architecture
- Urban Vitality: Exploring the centrality conditions (THE NETHERLANDS: NETWORK THEORY APPLIED TO URBAN STUDIES and SPATIAL STRATEGY: CENTRALITY: URBAN GEOGRAPHY), Author: Elena Selezneva (Russia), Masters thesis Urbanism, Mentors: Dubois, P.; Rocco, R., Keywords: macro centrality conditions, micro centrality conditions, urban centralities, urban vitality, tool for spatial research
- São Paulo and the merging Polis: On urban informality, violence and the public realm in São Paulo’s periphery (THE NETHERLANDS/ BRAZIL: URBAN STRATEGIES FOR DEVELOPMENT: URBAN INTERVENTION), Author: Jan van Ballegooien (NL), Master Thesis dual degree Urbanism and Architecture, Mentors: L. Meyers, R. Rocco.
- Office site typology: a systematic approach to type construction of office sites based on spatial parameters (THE NETHERLANDS: REAL ESTATE TYPOLOGY STUDIES, URBAN TYPOLOGIES, URBAN GEOGRAPHY), Author: Mariam Annali (RE&H) (NL), Masters thesis in Real Estate and Housing, Mentors: H. vande Putte, R. Rocco.
- The influence of national culture on the real estate of multinationals
Author: Evelien Plijter (the Netherlands) (RE&H), Masters thesis in Real Estate & Housing, Mentors: T. van der Voordt, R. Rocco.
- Integrating Informality: A Case for an Informal Settlement in Mumbai, Author: Rohan Varma (India) (Explore Lab)
Master thesis in architecture and urbanism (to be completed in 2013), Mentors: J. Heintz, R. Rocco.
- People’s Commune 2.0 Reconfiguration: Developing a Participatory Strategy for Upgrading Chinese Post-danwei communities
Author: WU Xiayu (China) (Urbanism: Design as Politics)
Masters thesis in Urbanism (to be completed in 2013)
Mentors: M. Relats, R. Rocco.
- Mega events as regional planning tool: exploration of a decentralised location strategy for Olympic venues in a regional setting. Example of the Oresund region Authors: Julius Kirchert (Denmark) & Jos Reinders (The Netherlands) (ExploreLab)
Master thesis in Architecture and Urbanism, Mentors: O. Caso, R. Nijsse, Y. Chen, R. Rocco.
- The local dimension of metropolitan mobility systems: an exploration of the Waterway Ring in São Paulo
Author: Maarten Kempenaar (The Netherlands) (Explore Lab), Master thesis in Architecture and Urbanism, Mentors: H. van Bennekom, R. Rocco.
- Identity in Post-Disaster Redevelopment: research into the integration and incorporation of local identity in the re-development of Haiti’s urban slums, Author: Wouter Pocornie (Curacao) (Explore Lab), Master thesis in Urbanism. Mentors: A. van Timmerman, R. Rocco.
- Brown Line Revolution: How to improve urban open space networks in Ruhr area through revitalising ‘brown lines’? The case of Essen, Author: Ruahao Wu (China) (Landscape), Master thesis in, Landscape Architecture, Mentors: R. van der Velde, R. Rocco.
- Building the future in a town of the past: A plan and a strategy for the spatial integration of the university campus in Delft
Author: Ruben Lentz (The Netherlands), Master thesis in Urbanism, Mentors: B. Hausleitner, R. Rocco.
- Resilient DenCity: Green Network in the New Jersey shoreline.
Author: Matteo Ferrarese (Italy), Master thesis at Explore Lab
Mentors: Architecture + R.Rocco, Keywords: Water management, Natural ecosystem, Sustainable mobility, Active lifestyle, Resiliency
- Fair factory, towards safe and healthy textile factories in Bangladesh. Author: Stephan van Berkel (Netherlands), Master thesis at Explore Lab, Keywords: industrial architecture, ergonomics of the workplace, occupational safety and health in factories, building technique in Bangladesh.
- Creating common goals for flood risk management and urban poverty, Author: Nirul Ramkisor , Master thesis at Delta Interventions, Keywords: Coastal city, urban poverty, integrated strategy, delta, climate change adaptation, First mentor: Dr. Fransje Hooimeijer Second mentor: Roberto Rocco, Third mentor: Taneha Bacchin.
- Participatory methods in Architectural Design: Building up belonging and identity in deteriorated urban areas. Example of Valencia. Author: Mar Muñoz Aparici, Keywords: Participation, identity, public values, planning, deprived urban areas. Developed at Explorelab. Role: Research mentor.
- Counteracting Social Segregation with Urban and Architectural Design. Author: Linda de Geus Keywords: Social Segregation, Spatial Justice, Public Realm, Sao Paulo, Social Integration, Developed at: Explore Lab. Role: Research mentor.
- Water Management Based Spatial Strategy for Paraisópolis, São Paulo, Author: Willard van der Velden, Keywords: Urban Metabolism, Informal urbanisation, Brazil, Waste, Water management. First mentor: ir. Nico Tillie. Role: Second mentor.
- People Places Prishtina, Post-Conflict Urban Design Fostering Public Life, Prishtina, Author: Thomas Victor Vink, Keywords: Post-Conflict Development, Walkability, Re-use, Public life, Quality of life. First mentor: L. Calabrese.
- Water From Within: How to decrease inter-basin water-transfer by enhancing Mexico City’s own potable water sources. Author: Sergio Abraham Berumen Milburn (Mexico). Keywords: Climate-adaptation, Urbanization, Fresh-water, Governance, Autonomy. Graduation Studio: Delta Interventions.
- The lost and hidden water of São Paulo – The potentials of the natural system in city development strategies : Harm van der Zanden. Keyowrds: Climate adaptation, green/blue infrastructure, natural system, urban regeneration, São Paulo. Graduation Studio: Urban Metabolism.
- Transformative Resilience: A Study of Derivative Form of Resilience in Informal Settlement (Case Study: Bukit Duri, Jakarta), Author: Ardian Wiratama ( Indonesia). Keywords: informal settlement, resilience, sustainability, flooding, vulnerability, Complex Cities, First mentor: Arie Romein.
- Mess is More : Iterating Dwelling design processes for the urban poor in Delhi. Author: Deepanshu Arneja (India), Self-organization, Income-based, Decoding open space, Informality, slum upgrading strategies, affordable housing, Explore Lab, Fist mentor: Nelson Mota. Role: Research mentor (3rd mentor in EXPLORE LAB)
- From Fearscapes to Public Spaces: A New Dialogue Between the Citizens & Their Democratic Public Domain. Author: Ipek Kahraman. Keywords: urban fear, fearscape, democratic public domain, spatial activism. Studio: Design of the Urban fabric. First mentor: L. M. Calabrese. Role: second mentor.
- Satisfying Urban Thirst: Towards a water sensitive and inclusive urban ecosystem through the metabolism of Cape Town. Author: Dóra Hegyi (Hungary). Water management/ spatial justice/informal urbanisation. Landscape. Role: second mentor. First mentor: Kristel Aalbers.
- forEverglades City: Interdisciplinary design approach for a resilient, adaptive and sustainable (re)development of Everglades City. Author: Jean-Pierre Droge (The Netherlands). Nature restoration, interdisciplinary design approaches, ecological restorative approach., CERP, Florida, Everglades. First mentor: Nico Tilie. Second mentor: Roberto Rocco.
- Burkinabé Domesticity: A contextualised response to rapid urbanisation in Sub-Saharan Africa. Author: Robyne Somé (The Netherlands). Explore Lab. Domestic architecture, culture-based design, demographic transition, housing, massive housing strategies, Burkina Faso. First mentor: Nelson Mota. Research Mentor: Roberto Rocco.
- An Urban Development Strategy for New Aruna Nagar, Majnu Ka Tilla, Delhi. Architecture of the Tibetan Diaspora. Author: Jakob Schmitt (Germany). Migration, Exile, Diaspora, Tibet, Informal urbanisation. Explore Lab. Role: Research mentor. First mentor: Nelson Mota (Arch.).
- Lahore, a spiritual revival of the space: A resilient future to overcome current water/climate issues. Author: Badar Haq (The Netherlands). Water, resilience, sustainability, culture. Explore Lab. Role: Research mentor. First mentor: Harald Mooij.
As part of a team of supervisors in other institutions (second or third mentor)
- Urban strategy and architectural design for the district 23 de Enero, Caracas, Venezuela, Author: Alexandra Voch (Bouwkunst Academie) (Germany), Master thesis in architectural design at the Bouwkunst Academie, Mentors: R. van Dolderen, C. Scheen, R. Rocco
Most graduation projects are available for download from the TU DELFT ACADEMIC REPOSITORY
As co-leader of the design and research studio at the European Masters of Urbanism (EMU), Mobile Strategies and Metropolitan Strategies semester (in collaboration with Dr. Remon Rooij, ir. Daan Zandbelt, Dr. Alexander Wandl, Dr. Victor Sanz, and ir. Luiz Carvalho).
- EMU Fall 2008. Looping the Archipelago: a strategy for the Southwing of Randstad Holland 2040 (NETHERLANDS: SPATIAL REGIONAL STRATEGY: MOBILITY: URBAN NETWORKS). Authors: Matei Bogoescu (Romania), Valentina Grimaldi (Italy), Anneleen Maesen (Belgium), Bardia Mashhoudi (Iran), Patrizia Sulis (Italy). Course final research and design report, European Masters of Urbanism (Fall 2008), Mentors: Remon Rooij and Roberto Rocco.
- EMU Fall 2009. Ruropolis in the making: A strategic approach for the Dutch Province of South Holland (NETHERLANDS: SPATIAL REGIONAL STRATEGY: MOBILITY: URBAN NETWORKS). Authors: Birgit Hausleitner (Austria), Tiffiny Hodgson (New Zealand), Nika Jazaei (Iran), Hamed Khosravi (Iran), Eleanna Kotsikou (Greece), Kaveh Rashidzadeh (Iran), Alexander Wandl (Austria). Course final research and design report, European Masters of Urbanism. Mentors: Remon Rooij and Roberto Rocco.
- EMU Fall 2010. Utrecht: a place for knowledge? (NETHERLANDS: SPATIAL REGIONAL STRATEGY: MOBILITY: NETWORKS), Authors: Lauren Abrahams (Canada), Eline Bugarin (Mexico), Adrian Hill (Australia), A. Jani (India), Tahereh Keimanesh (Iran), Vahid Kumarsi (Iran), Y. Zhang (China), Course final research and design report, European Masters of Urbanism (Fall 2010), Mentors: Remon Rooij, Roberto Rocco, and Daan Zaandbelt.
- EMU Fall 2011. Randstad and São Paulo: Mobility and Urbanization in two strategies, Authors: Olga Balaoura (Greece), Claudiu Forgaci (Romania), Jesus Garate (Spain), Lenin Garcia (Mexico), M. Guo (China), Carlos R. Salinas (Mexico), Arthur Shakhbazyan (Russia), Course final research and design report, European Masters of Urbanism (Fall 2011), Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Daan Zaandbelt. Contribution to the International Architectural Biennale of Rotterdam.
- EMU Fall 2012. A Spatial Strategy for Rotterdam-Den Haag: An Emerging Urban Region Network, Authors: Jane Bobkova (Russia), Luiz Carvalho (Brazil), Anastasia Chranioti (Greece), Germana Pinheiro Camara (Brazil), Reeshu Gupta (India), Antonio Sanna (Italy), Mrudhula Seo Koshy (India), Katherine Sundermann (Australia), Aditya Suresh Deshmukh (India), Andrea Überbacher (Austria), S. Xiao (China), M. Zhang (China), Course final research and design report, European Masters of Urbanism (Fall 2012). Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Daan Zaandbelt.
- EMU Fall 2013. Crossing Borders: Next_BRABANT: Reweaving the urban Carpet for new cross border territorial cooperations between the Netherlands and Belgium. Authors: Andrea Verni (Cyprus) and Montserrat Pantoja (Chile) Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Daan Zaandbelt.
- EMU Fall 2014. The Knowledge Ecosystem: Towards a coherent knowledge-based spatial development. Authors: Alexandra Ergamina (Russia), Betti Lamelo (Venezuela), Nashira Covarrubia (Venezuela), Geraldine de Neuville (Belgium), Wanseo Park (South Korea). Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Daan Zaandbelt.
- EMU Fall 2015. Metropooling the Zuidvleugel 2040. Authors: Chen Yun-Shih (China), Daniel Ferrer (Germany) , Estefania McLaurin Moreno (Mexico), Fecianti (Indonesia), Iulia Sirbu (Romania), Ke Zhang (China), Juliana Nakagawa Fernandes (Brazil), Lin Wei-Yun (China), Magdalini Papadam (Greece), Pablo Pajares, Rebeca Rabello (Brazil), Sanjana Ahmed (Bangladesh), Tatiana Rojas Molina (Colombia), Vincent Babes (Romania), Yan Jingyue (China). Fall 2015. Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Daan Zaandbelt.
- EMU Fall 2016. The Quarter Million Question: How can Building a Quarter Million Homes Push Forward the Sustainable Network City Region? Students: Antoine Canazzi (France), Julio Vaitsman (Brazil), Zhouyiqi Chen (China), Jean-Baptiste Peters (France), Cristina Wong (Peru), Florencia Rodríguez Balzarini (Argentina), Julia Daibert (Brazil), Vladimir Tapia (Ecuador), Monika Novkovikj (Serbia), Maricruz Gazel (Costa Rica), Rajat Dinesh Uchil (India). Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Alexander Wandl.
- EMU Fall 2017. Automation and the Changing Landscape of Work: A Strategy for the Region of South Holland. Authors: Ricardo Avella (Venezuela), Laura Germania German (Mexico), Pablo Muñoz (Spain), Valentina Tridello (Italy), Carola Vega (Peru), Xinyu Xiao (China), Huanzhou Ye (China). Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Victor Sanz.
- EMU Fall 2018. Urban Region Networks. Automation and the Changing Landscape of Work II: A Strategy for the Metropolitan Region The Hague-Rotterdam. Authors: Francesca Palancri (Italy), Yigang Li (China), Karoline Fischer (Brazil), James MacDonald-Nelson (Canada), Carolina Fiallo Cardona (Colombia), Javier Tobias Gonzales (Spain), Sijin Chen (China), Karel van Oordt Montalvo (Peru), Manola Colabianchi (Italy), Rafael Cohen (Brazil), Yuxi Wu (China), Mahmoud Salahaldeen Ahmadi Alsati (Jordan), Marina Visic (Serbia). Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Victor Sanz.
- EMU Fall 2019. Spatial Strategies for the Just City: A vision for inclusive and fair sustainability transitions in the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area (AMA). Authors: Meri Zheng (China), Ana Lizeth Salinas (Mexico), Marija Beg (Croatia), Jui-Yi Hung (Taiwan), Abhinand Gopal Pulijala (India), Pranit Ravindra Nevrekar (India), Federico Bernal (Colombia), Enrico Corvi (Italy), Joan Sanz (Catalonia), Esther Boo (South Korea), Yu Wen Lin (Taiwan). Mentors: Roberto Rocco and Luiz Carvalho Filho.
Graduation Projects EMU
- From Public Space to Public Domain. Author: Mariana Faver (EMU) (Brazil). European Masters of Urbanism graduation thesis. Mentors: Daan Zaandbelt and Roberto Rocco. Keywords: Brazil, Urban Design of Public Spaces, Connectivity, Public Realm and Social Integration.
- Social and Spatial Integration of Social Housing: Case Study in Juiz de Fora, Brazil. Author: Julia Daibert (Brazil). Mentors: Miguel Corominas (ETSAB, UPC) and Roberto Rocco (TU Delft).
- Metropolitan borders: A mobility strategy to redistribute the territory based on mass transportation systems in the metropolitan region of Recife, Brazil. Author: Julio Vaitsman de Faria (Brazil). Mentors: Joaquín Sabaté Bel (UPC) and Roberto Rocco (TU Delft).
- Design Methods for a water-sensitive city: Brasilia as a case study. Author: Rebeca Rabello (Brazil). Mentors: Taneha Kuzniecow Bacchin, Roberto Rocco and Paola Viganò.
- Local dynamics for a decentralized future: possible strategies for intermediate cities in Peru. Author: Carola Vega (Peru). UPC, TU Delft. First mentor: Dr. Miquel Martí (UPC). Second mentor: Roberto Rocco (TU Delft).
- Guaranteeing Quality for Social Housing: Key to ght urban poverty in Mexican cities. Author: Laura Germania German German (Mexico). UPC/TU Delft. First mentor: Tonet Font (UPC). Second mentor: Roberto Rocco (TU Delft).
- Blurred Boundaries: Towards an integrated governance system beyond the Zuid [in the South Wing of the Randstad]. Author: Florencia Rodriguez (Argentina). Mentors: Joaquín Sabaté Bel (UPC) and Roberto Rocco (TU Delft).